Happy Friday! How’s your week been? I’ll be honest, the days have been long and hot. Looking forward to a relaxing weekend (that hopefully includes a nap)! Here are a few things on my mind this week:
1. Sweet Sixteen. Today’s our 16th anniversary! To celebrate, we’re going to see a local Shakespeare ensemble present Much Ado About Nothing. It’s fitting because we saw this play on one of our first dates – 19 years ago! I love how this ensemble presents the classics in a modern way – last year, we saw As You Like It, performed with an Appalachian flair and accompanied by bluegrass music. We loved it – can’t wait to see what they do this time. (PS – There doesn’t seem to be a traditional anniversary gift for 16 years, but do you know the modern gift is? Silver holloware. There you go, your random fact for the day. You’re welcome.)
2. This chandelier. After all the talk about silverware last week, I cracked up when I saw this kitchen in the July/August issue of House Beautiful. I’m a sucker for a little bit of whimsy. This is a DIY just waiting to happen, but I cleaned out all the forks at my local thrift store, so I’ll have to look elsewhere.
3. Swimming. We’re finishing up swim lessons this week for BB, and it’s been so fun to watch the progress of the kids in the group. So when I came across these images by photographer Alix Martinez, I was mesmerized. It’s hard to pick a favorite – they are all so beautiful. Check out her entire portfolio here.
4. Rules of Civility. First heard about this book on Modern Mrs. Darcy and have seen it recommended elsewhere. I just got it from the library, and I’m excited to dive into it this weekend.
5. Quiet Moments. I came across this quote today, and it stopped me in my tracks. My One Little Word for 2014 is SLOW, and sometimes I feel like I’m failing at it miserably – like I can’t get my house, my days, my life to feel slow and purposeful like I want. This quote reminds me that, to make a difference in my home, with my family, and with others around me, it has to start WITHIN me. (The quote is from a book by Katrina Kineson. I’m adding all of her books to my “To Read” list.)
So, what are you reading these days? And have you read Rules of Civility? What did you think?
Hope you have a great weekend – thanks for reading!
[Top image: Old Vintage Ephemera]
3 thoughts on “Five Things”
Enjoyed your post. I have read Rules of Civility and liked it very much. The quote you wrote about was wonderful. I agree it is hard but when you do carve out those “down time” moments with your kids and/or significant other I think you find those moments are the ones that feel real…you experience a connection not possible otherwise. Happy anniversary! Where are you seeing the Shakepeare play? Sounds interesting!
It’s with the Davis Shakespeare Ensemble. They used to perform at the Arboretum Gazebo, but it’s at Veterans Memorial now.