Wow! It’s Friday already? We haven’t been terribly busy, but the days have felt full in the best possible way. Fall has always been my favorite time of year, but these lovely Summer days are pretty great. Here are a few things that have been on my mind this week:
1. So this was fun. My Prom Dress Skirt was featured in this post about refashioning formalwear on the Paris Ciel blog. Lots of cute ideas – I love this DIY tulle skirt, this 80s dress makeover, and this 50s wedding dress to prom dress makeover. (Also, I would never have thought of DIYing my own wedding dress, but after seeing this and this, I’m sold. Maybe BG will want a DIY dress one day? Yeah, doubt it.)
2. Watercolors. BB went to a birthday party at Michaels last weekend. (BTW, who knew you could do this? It was fun – he painted a birdhouse, got his face painted, and decorated cupcakes.) For a party favor, my friend sent home little paint-by-numbers kits with all the kids. It was really cute, and BB worked hard this week on his. Since we had all the paint supplies out, I decided to play around some on my own. SO. MUCH. FUN. I haven’t done watercolors in a few years, but I quickly remembered why I like them – fun gradients of colors and tints, easy to work with, and just so pretty. I tried handlettering a new blog banner – it wasn’t perfect, but I’m getting there. Stay tuned!
3. “Are you raising nice kids?” This article from the Washington Post states that about “80 percent of the youth in the study said their parents were more concerned with their achievement or happiness than whether they cared for others.” Whoa. I like how the article listed specific examples of ways to teach compassion to kids.
4. Orphan Black. I blame Husband. He found this one night while browsing Amazon for free shows, and now we’re 9 episodes in and hooked. (We rarely watch TV – we don’t even have a TV right now – but we’re getting close to binge-watching over here.) It’s SO different – I tend to like light and funny shows, and this is a dark, sci-fi one that has made me cover my eyes on more than one occasion. I can’t wait to see what happens next!
5. Thrift of the week. While checking out with my fourteen forks, I spotted this vintage necklace. LOVE the color and the two different shapes of beads. Usually I thrift jewelry to redesign it, but I like this one just the way it is.
Do you have fun plans for the weekend? House projects are continuing here. We (well, Husband) painted the den last weekend, and we’re going to finish up the trimwork this weekend. We are still in negotiations as to how this room is actually going to function when it’s “done”, but we’re months away from “done” so no rush. Have a great weekend, and thanks for reading!